Hey everyone, I hope you’re having an amazing day today. Today, I’m gonna show you how to make a distinctive dish, rice cake/giant idli with harissa paste & podi. It is one of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a little bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
To begin with this recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can have rice cake/giant idli with harissa paste & podi using 25 ingredients and 30 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to make Rice Cake/Giant Idli with Harissa Paste & Podi-
- Take 1 Cup White Urad Daal
- Get 2 Cups Idli Rava
- Get 1 Tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Get —————————
- Make ready Harissa Paste-
- Get 2 Red bell peppers (Medium)
- Get 60 Grams Dried red chillies
- Get 60 Grams Garlic
- Get 1 Tbsp Caraway seeds
- Prepare 2.5 Tbsp Coriander seeds
- Take 2.5 Tbsp Fennel seeds
- Get 3 Tbsp Cumin seeds
- Take 1 Tbsp Salt
- Get 150 Ml White vinegar
- Prepare 150 Ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Take —————————
- Prepare Podi-
- Take 1/2 Cup Toor Daal
- Get 1/2 Cup Urad Daal (White)
- Take 1/2 Cup Moong Daal (Yellow)
- Prepare 1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds (White)
- Make ready 2 Cups Dried Red Chilies
- Make ready 1.5 Tbsp Asafoetida
- Prepare 1.5 Tsp Salt
- Get 1 Tsp Sugar
Steps to make Rice Cake/Giant Idli with Harissa Paste & Podi-
- To make the Idli- - Wash the Daal thoroughly in a medium bowl until the water runs clear.
- Soak covered in 2-3 cups of water & the Methi Seeds for about 2 hours.
- Place the Idli Rava in a large bowl. - Add 4-5 cups of water & let it soak covered for about 2 hours as well.
- Drain the water from the Daal & the Idli Rava. - Grind the Daal along with the Methi Seeds & 3/4th cup of freshwater.
- Mix it with the Idli Rava. Mix well. - Cover with a tight lid or Cling Wrap & leave it to ferment overnight or 8-10 hours.
- Note, During hot summers the batter may rise in just 4 to 5 hours & during winters it may take up to 16 hours or so. - Add Salt when ready to cook.
- Heat 2 cups of water in a large pot. - Place a trivet in the pot. - Grease a 7” springform cake pan. - Wrap aluminum foil around it so that the batter doesn’t leak. - - Check the level of water. It should not be over the trivet.
- Pour the batter in the springform pan. - Place it in the pot carefully on top of the trivet when the water comes to a boil over high heat. Cover. - Reduce heat to medium. - Steam for 30 minutes.
- When done, take out carefully & unmold. - - Level the top with the help of a long serrated knife or cake leveler in a sawing action.
- Place it in a plate, upside down. - Decorate if desired.
- Note, I poured the Harissa Paste in a squirt bottle & made the Cookpad logo.
- Serve hot with Sambar/Coconut ChutneyHarissa Paste/Podi.
- 2.To make the Harissa Paste- - Place the chillies in a bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Soak for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place the cumin, coriander, fennel and caraway in a dry frying pan over high heat. Toast for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, till fragrant.
- Remove the spices from the pan immediately to prevent burning. - - Let the spices cool completely. - - Coarsely grind the spices in a dry grinder or use a mortar & pestle.
- Drain the chillies, reserving a few tablespoons of the chilli water.
- Roast the bell peppers on open flame turning frequently until charred from all sides. Let them cool completely.
- Cut the top & the membrane. Remove the seeds & discard. - Peel the skin. Reserve a little bit of the charred skin for a nice smoky flavor.
- Place the garlic & bell peppers in a food processor with a bit of the chilli water. Blend thoroughly. Add the chillies, spices, salt and vinegar. Process for several minutes, till smooth.
- With the food processor running, begin adding a slow, steady stream of olive oil to the mixture. Stop adding once a paste-like consistency is achieved (you may not need all of the olive oil).
- Store in sterilized glass jars. - Stays good in the refrigerator for 6 months or so. - Use as required.
- 3.To make the Idli Podi- - Roast the daals separately with a few drops of oil over medium heat until you get a nice nutty aroma.
- Be extra careful not to burn them otherwise, it will alter the taste completely. - Transfer to a large plate.
- Now, roast the sesame seeds just for about 2 minutes. That’s all it takes. Remove.
- Finally roast the red chilies. Again chilies tend to get roasted quickly so be careful not to burn them. - Remove.
- Once all the roasted ingredients are on the plate, add asafetida, salt & sugar while still somewhat warm. Once the mixture is cooled completely, grind to a coarse powder in a dry grinder or coffee grinder.
- Your podi is ready to be served with idlis/dosas. - - Tip- Use sesame oil to mix with your podi. No other oil seems to match up to that extraordinary taste. - - Store in an airtight jar. Use as required.
Your daily diet must include at least several of these super foods. Why not eat a few beans or blueberries? Leagy greens, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Whole cereals, and oats, plus an assortment of nuts, chiefly walnuts. In addition, you may wish to consume salmon, turkey, yogurt, soya, tomatoes, oranges, and pumpkins. Making these foods a usual part of your diet will get rid of your weight problems. Green living gives you a great eating plan, with all of the right ingredients for better health. Your body will ward off diseases as your immune system gets healthier. Prepare for a healthy future by modifying your eating habits today.
So that is going to wrap it up with this exceptional food rice cake/giant idli with harissa paste & podi recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I’m confident that you will make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!