Hey everyone, it is Drew, welcome to my recipe site. Today, we’re going to make a special dish, beef and bacon roll ups "rouladen". One of my favorites. For mine, I am going to make it a little bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
Learn how to make a Beef Rouladen recipe! Roll up the beef tightly (fold sides first over the mixture, then roll up lengthwise, like a burrito) holding in place with toothpicks or wrap with string.
To get started with this recipe, we must first prepare a few ingredients. You can cook beef and bacon roll ups "rouladen" using 12 ingredients and 27 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Beef and bacon roll ups "rouladen"-
- Take 9 thin cut top round steak 1/4 inch thick
- Take 9 slices thick cut bacon
- Take 1 lg white onion
- Prepare 2 stalks celery
- Make ready 1 shallot
- Prepare 2 lg garlic cloves
- Make ready Handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- Prepare Sprig fresh thyme
- Make ready 2 bay leafs
- Take 4 cups beef stock
- Make ready 1 knorr beef bouillon
- Make ready 36 toothpicks
Steps to make Beef and bacon roll ups "rouladen"-
- Have your local butcher slice top round to a 1/4 in thick. Don't be shy to ask them it's our job! If using frozen meat simply put on a old baking sheet pan in fridge and thaw 2-3 days the sheet pan will provide a catch all of any blood or liquid that will and it will escape out of the package.
- Cut up all your vegetables and herbs on a clean cutting board. I use a wooden one that I've never processed any raw meat or fish on. Makes cleaning and sanitizing a breeze
- Cut your steaks in halves trying to keep them as uniform as possible. This particular cut of beef will taper off on one side so don't worry that's to be expected. I cut all my raw meats and fish on a plastic cutting board. Reason here is you can soak it in hot water 1 tablespoon of bleach for every gallon of water to safely get rid of bacteria
- Count how many slices your going to get so you can know how many of everything you'll need make things easier
- I yielded 18 so 9 bacon strips cut in halves
- Now set up a work station that will make things run smoother. Okay now place the place the bacon and onion on the large end of the steak grip firmly and roll up.
- Add two wooden toothpicks to hold in place. Bacon and onion might hang out on the ends but that's okay it just what happens.
- I put them on foil as I go
- Once you have all your rolls season with salt and pepper on all sides
- Heat pan till your oil just starts to shimmer and lightly smoke. I use peanut oil because it has a high smoke point.
- Working in batches brown meat on both sides now at this point because of the toothpicks you will not be able to get even Browning. Do what sides you can.
- Place browned rolls on a plate in this case I just used my lid to the Dutch oven
- Get a drink your almost there.
- Once there all browned reduce heat to medium heat or move your pan off the heat completely and add celery and shallot
- Cook until slightly soften 7-8 min. Now add your garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds no longer than that or it will get bitter. Just cook untill you can smell the aroma of the garlic
- Now you can add flour and make a roux if you like a thicker gravy but for this particular dish I never do. So now add 4 cups of stock 2 1/4 cups of water and 1 beef bouillon cube and bring to a boil make sure to stir so the bouillon dissolves and doesn't just stick to the bottom of your pan. Also use your spoon to break up all the browned bits off the bottom of your pan.
- Now add parsley,thyme and bay leaf and stir untill everything is well incorporate.
- Now place all your rolls in the pot with tongs their really isn't a method to achieve this so start where ever you want the first 12 or so will go in easy but the rest can be a little finicky once again with the toothpicks.
- Now they should be just under your liquid at this point even sticking out a little this is fine because over the cooking process they will shrink and fall into place
- Pour all the liquid that accumulated from the rolls while they sat on your plate
- Cover with lid completely. Set heat low for instance how you would cook rice because we don't want to boil them rather simmer.
- Set timer for one hour.
- After an hour stir and and move around the rolls if still up out of the liquid arrange till just under. It will be much easier now. Check your seasoning of the broth and adjust. Pepper maybe another beef bouillon. Now this time your going to slightly crack your lid on your pot.
- Set timer for 45 min.
- Now here is where things now become a preference. You could remove the rolls and let the gravy chill and remove all the fat and warm up slowly the next day. Spoon out the best you can. Move the pan half on half off the burner and spoon out the best you can from the cooler side. Lay some bread on top and soak up the fat or paper towels personality I spoon out as much as I can and eat the day of.
- Egg noodles are great with this or mashed potatoes or just the rolls. Remove toothpicks and enjoy I know it's not the healthiest food for you but they are so good tasting something you should make once every two months or so
- Deer tracks!!! Came out of the woods to get a drink.
You have to include a few superfoods in your diet everyday. Why not eat some beans or blueberries? Things that are green, such as broccoli, spinach, and green tea. Whole grains, and oats, plus a mix of nuts, primarily walnuts. Furthermore, you need to include yogurt, soya bean, pumpkins, oranges, and tomatoes, along with salmon and turkey. If you eat these superfoods, you will never have a weight problem again. Observing a green living meal plan will provide you with precisely what you need for good health. Your immune system will become stronger, and your body can be free of disease. Prepare for a great future by making positive changes to your eating habits now.
These useful spices can be used to cook so many different meals! Learn how to make a Beef Rouladen recipe! I hope you enjoy this easy Beef Rouladen recipe! ???????????????? ??????. Roll up the beef tightly (fold sides first over the mixture, then roll up lengthwise, like a burrito) holding in place with toothpicks or wrap with string. Remove Rouladen from pot, remove toothpicks or string and let rest, strain sauce through a sieve. Optionally you can thicken sauce with some flour- Return. Place chopped bacon, onions, and pickles down the center of the steaks and roll up. Remove rouladen from pot and thicken liquid to make gravy. Return meat to pot and heat through. Serve with mashed potatoes or potato dumplings. This Beef Rouladen recipe features thinly sliced beef wrapped around bacon, pickles, carrots, and onion then braised in a red wine gravy until it's I've never made something like this before. I've made steak or chicken roll-ups, but this is completely different. Beef wrapped around a pickle? and a carrot?! Lay one slice of bacon on each piece. Roll the steaks jelly-roll style and secure with toothpicks. Wow this Rouladen are so wrong that ain't even funny I'm german and I never in my whole live heard of making them this way, Original Rouladen. Beef Rollups (Rouladen) recipe- Slices of sirloin wrapped around bacon and pickle with gravy made from the renderings. This is a recipe from my Mom that has been in her family for generations. The cooking process yields a tender, juicy beef rollup. Spread mustard, salt and pepper on raw meat slices.
So that’s going to wrap this up with this exceptional food beef and bacon roll ups "rouladen" recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I’m sure that you will make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page in your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!