Hey everyone, it is Drew, welcome to our recipe page. Today, I’m gonna show you how to make a distinctive dish, kerala christmas fruit (plum) cake. One of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious. Please see the picture of Fruit cake made by Anupama Antony, based on the above recipe. Don't be like me and worry about it, it's really not that hard, you just need to be careful while doing it.
Kerala Christmas Fruit (Plum) Cake is one of the most popular of recent trending foods on earth. It is simple, it’s quick, it tastes delicious. It is enjoyed by millions daily. They’re nice and they look fantastic. Kerala Christmas Fruit (Plum) Cake is something which I have loved my whole life.
To get started with this recipe, we have to first prepare a few components. You can have kerala christmas fruit (plum) cake using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Kerala Christmas Fruit (Plum) Cake-
- Prepare 1 to 1.5 cups Dry fruits (use sultanas, raisins, dried currants, dates, dried cherries, cashew nuts, & almonds)
- Prepare 1 cup Red wine (see notes for non alcoholic version)
- Get 2 tbsp All purpose flour
- Prepare 1/2 cup Sugar
- Take 1 tbsp + 1/2 cup Water
- Get 1 cup All purpose flour
- Get 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- Prepare 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Take 1 pinch Salt
- Take 1Cloves (powdered)
- Take 1/4″ piece Cinnamon(powdered)
- Get 1/4 tsp Ginger powder
- Make ready 1/8 tsp Nutmeg powder
- Prepare 1 tsp Orange zest
- Take 125 gms (1/2 cup +1 tbsp) Butter,at room temperature
- Prepare 1 cup Sugar
- Make ready 2 medium Egg yolk
- Get 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Get 2 medium Egg White
Instructions to make Kerala Christmas Fruit (Plum) Cake-
- Soak the dry fruits and nuts in red wine,in a glass container /jar.Cover and keep away for at least 24 hours. For best results soaks them for 1 or 2 weeks or up to 1 month.
- To prepare caramel syrup melt 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tbsp water in a deep pan. As you cook the colour will change from pale golden to brown. Swirl the pan once or twice in between(do not use a spoon /spatula).When the colour changes to dark golden brown, switch off the stove. Carefully add 1/2 cup water and stir to mix well. Switch on the stove and boil the syrup over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Allow this to cool completely(this can be made a day ahead.)
- In a mixing bowl combine together all purpose flour,baking powder, baking soda, salt, clove, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg powder using a fork. Add the orange zest and mix well. Keep aside until required. In a bowl beat egg white until soft peaks form. Keep aside until required.
- In a bowl beat together softened butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Add one yolk at a time and mix well. Add vanilla extract. Mix well until combined. Add 2 tbsp flour mixture and mix to combine. Add the cooled caramel syrup into the egg mixture in 3 batches alternating with the flour mixture. Mix everything just enough to blend. Drain the soaked fruits well and keep the liquid/red wine aside.
- Add 2 tbsp all purpose flour and mix well until combined. Fold in the prepared dry fruits and nuts. Add 1/2 or 1 tbsp of red wine (drained from soaked fruit/nuts) to the batter, if desired. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter in two or three batches.
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C. Transfer the batter to a cake tin /loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan,peel off the parchment paper and cool completely. For best results, allow the fruit cake to mature for 2 to 3 days before serving.
- For alcohol free version, soak the dry fruits and nuts in 1 cup orange /apple or grape juice overnight at room temperature. If the top of the cake browns too quickly while baking, loosely cover it with foil. Prick holes on top of the cake using a skewer and drizzle one or two tsp of red wine over the cake, for extra flavor. Cover the cake with parchment paper and then with foil and store in an airtight container for upto 2 weeks.
Your daily diet should have at least a few of these super foods. Foods such as beans and berries are excellent. Then, try adding several veggies such as broccoli, spinach, or green tea. Whole cereals, and oats, plus an assortment of nuts, mainly walnuts. Moreover, you may want to eat salmon, turkey, yogurt, soy, tomatoes, oranges, and pumpkins. Making these foods a normal part of your diet will eliminate your weight problems. Observing a green living meal plan will give you just what you need for good health. Your body will ward off diseases as your immune system gets healthier. Ensure your future health by adopting healthy eating habits now.
This Kerala plum cake recipe requires you to caramelise sugar into a thick sugar syrup. Don't be like me and worry about it, it's really not that hard, you just need to be careful while doing it. Kerala Christmas Fruit Cake / Kerala Plum Cake. Please see the picture of Fruit cake made by Anupama Antony, based on the above recipe. Indulge yourself to a Holiday Treat, loaded with Fruits n Nuts soaked in Rum… an Old fashioned Christmas Fruit Cake aka Kerala Style Plum Cake…! Fruit Cake - Plum Cake - Christmas Cake. For Traditional cake with alcohol - Soak plums + raisins + cashews + black currants in rum or brandy. Drain it, roughly chop and fold it in the cake in the end. Kerala Christmas Fruit / Plum Cake. Learn how to make rich and delicious Kerala Fruit Cake. For a malayalee, plum cake is an integral part of christmas celebration. Chop and soak the dry fruits in rum/wine and keep it in a bottle overnight at room temperature. If you haven't tried yet,do try this Kerala Plum Cake-Christmas Fruit Cake and let me know how it turned out for you. Kerala Plum Cake is a traditional fruit cake made in India for Christmas. This Indian version of the Christmas Fruit Cake is rich cake packed with dry fruits and nuts that are easily available in India. The preparation to make this cake starts even a month before Christmas. Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake is a tasty and aromatic cake with the combination of soaked fruits, nuts and spices. It is a good treat for Christmas, festivals and marriage. The taste of the soaked fruits and spice powders enriches its taste and texture. Kerala Plum Cake or Christmas Fruit Cake is made with rum soaked dry fruits and caramelized sugar syrup and spices.
So that’s going to wrap it up for this exceptional food kerala christmas fruit (plum) cake recipe. Thank you very much for reading. I am sure you will make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!